Mount Etna
It had been on my to do list for about a year to climb Mount Etna, but the highest active volcano in the world wasn't as difficult to scale as we'd expected. A cable car, then for most, a big 4x4 truck thing to get to the main crater, and there you are!! But being the hardcore travellers we are, we decided to walk the 5km from the cable car to the crater and it was well worth it.
HIGHLIGHTS: being on top of the highest active volcano in the world!! Walking to the 3 day old lava river and sitting on the still-warm rocks and getting our body temperatures closer to normal!! Being the only ones walking to the top and feeling like we had the whole place to ourselves (except when the big 4x4s rumbled past!)
LOWLIGHT: the wind!! it was so strong, there were a few moments I thought I was going to have a very spectacular death by being blown into the crater!! And my hands...have never ever been that cold!! I was sure I was going to pull my fingers off with the removal of my gloves (how much do I exaggerate!!)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home