This a running account of life in Spain (and wherever I find myself in the future), that will hopefully be more fun for you than reading my bulk emails... it will allow for a bit more detail and a bit more interest You can also post comments if you like...or email me, I don´t mind!! It's a bit of an ancient blogging site so please bear with the formatting. Also, look down the right hand side for archived posts... have fun!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Roma inside

St Peter's Basilica was pretty impressive, though we couldn't help wondering what else all that money could have been spent on... but anyway!! I didn't know about the Swiss guards at the Vatican. Apparently (and I can now believe this), Italians aren't very good at keeping secrets so the Pope has Swiss guards to keep the going-ons of the Vatican to themselves!!

HIGHLIGHTS: For me, the Pieta by Michelangelo... only since moving to Europe have I become more art focused and for me, this was the best sculpture I've seen.. he's just captured the moment so accurately and sensitively... just beautiful. For Marc, I think the Gallery of Maps in the Vatican Museum... a huge hall full of antique maps of Europe and the world... the Catholics have everything!
LOWLIGHTS: Getting into the Sistine Chapel as students: the full cost was 26€ but I only had a 20€ note in my hand so after waiting a little bit the man just said "prego prego" and took my money. Thinking we'd scored a nice bloke, we looked at our tickets and realised he'd charged us as students (a total of 16€) so he'd pocketed 4€ for himself!! Honest people working in the Vatican… but hey, we got a discount!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home