Wow, how do I begin to describe Varanasi!! We were always excited about visiting this place that we had heard so much about but still didn't know exactly what to expect (I don't know that you can carry expectations with you in India). It was a pretty tough 3

days actually, we were well and truly ready to leave by the end because we felt we had been hassled and ripped off more than usual, but still our first sighting of the Ganges elicited a big "wooooow" from both our mouths... you can't really begin to imagine the integration of smells, sights and sounds....


I really can't say much except that it was a very religious

ritualistic place and I felt a little overwhelmed by the seeming blind faith... the sadhhus wandering around offering blessings to everyone then expecting money in return.... the filthy, smelly river... which our boat driver assured us was very clean water and that people drink from it daily... it has a healing quality. No thanks!!!
This last photo is me waiting in Varanasi train station with a bunch of guys who just decided to sit and stare at me for 30 mins or so. You can see how impressed I look!!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home